note: try to refrain from licking the buttery goodness (from your utensils, fingers...the bowl) between each step. Do as I say, not as I do.
1. Let a pint of fresh heavy cream sit out on the counter for an hour or so until it comes to room temperature or thereabouts.
2. Using a food processor, blend the cream for 5+ minutes until the solids and liquids separate.
3. Drain solids in a strainer, over a bowl, for a few minutes. Collect and save the liquid from the bowl - it's buttermilk!
4. Transfer the butter to a bowl and rinse it a few times.
5. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
6. Squeeze as much remaining liquid out of your butter as possible.
First I tried this:
And then this:
|(yes, that's a hand print)|
And finally back to this:
I'm not sure what the best way is for this last step, although kneading and squeezing it with my hands seemed to get the most liquid out. It was a bit slippery, though.
But in the end, there it was: Butter! Lick away.